Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Killing Time

Some stress relief art. I have been going crazy lately from work related things. I've also been struggling with some personal frustrations, but I don't feel like this is the place to elaborate on them. Just say that I find myself needing to do something, but I can't do anything, so I sit down and try to draw a random picture - and tonight it worked!

I would like some honest opinions about something, please. While drawing this, I tried to make the chest and torso area a little bigger than I usually would. I really enjoy drawing the musculature of male physiques, but I tend to draw them in a very thin, wiry way because whenever I try to draw something with a big chest (think "barrel chested"), to me it looks like a person on steroids. So I would like to hear any opinions on the chest size in this image. Does it look a little small to you? Kind of big? Does it look okay? Any reasons you'd like to share why? I'm fine with this figure, as the character is somewhat more of a lean character, but he's also supposed to have a warrior's build to him. So I dunno.....the floor is open to debate.

Oh by the way, meet Krieg, everyone. He shows up in my next writing project, which I'll be working on after I finish Nethbane. I won't say much about him beyond that, but I enjoy his character so you may see him popping up again.

2 comments:

  1. The larger chest looks fine, and you did manage to make him look lean yet muscled. When it comes to human men, many have broader shoulders and bigger torso and chest, so for this male character it looks right.

    If you find yourself having a hard time depicting his muscles yet wanting to keep his tone lean but not deflated, do some research on muscle structure and add detail for his muscles. Hope that makes sense XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, see even on this, the chest looks a little large to me, so that's why I asked to see what others thought about it. I'm thinking maybe I'll watch something on professional body building, as funny as that may sound, and try to do some reference sketches to help me feel more comfortable about drawing huge muscles, heh :)

    And thank you for your opinion!

    ReplyDelete