Thursday, December 23, 2010

Light and Dark



Well, here it is. I tried something a little different with some of the clouds, which turned out to be very helpful. When you select the Smudge tool in Gimp's toolbox, try clicking on the option "Apply Jitter". It's actually nice for blending colors at the same time you smudge.

Ended up moving the head back and shortening the neck just a little bit. It was sticking out far enough that it was bugging me, since these creatures are not supposed to have super long necks, which unfortunately is how I draw them. Talk about a conflicting idea!

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the shine on that sword or not. In hindsight, I think that focusing the bright light more so that it was shining down the center of the blade would have been good, but never mind. I've done enough on this one.

I tried to record most of the coloring process, so I'll see whether or not the software wants to play nice and give me a video to post. No promises :\

2 comments:

  1. Nice! He looks like such a mysterious figure. Since the sword is a harder material and more reflective, it actually looks pretty good with that reflection in my opinion.

    A suggestion on light and shadow: with his hand down so low, there would probably be more shadow up on his hood rather than on the skirt of his robe, with the hood being further away.

    Anywho, I love your style; keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that on the hood. Thanks for pointing it out, and of course thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete