Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PawPer badges



I got commissioned! HURRAY!! First drawn commissions ever, so I'm very excited. These turned out very well, too, and the recipient was pleased with them, so what more can I ask for?

Several weeks ago, I found some brush pens hidden in our art supply closet. I was so thrilled to find some form of markers to play with, but I didn't realize until I was working on these commissions just how wonderful those things are. It seems that depending upon the pressure used while coloring with them, a person can produce different textures. Texture! Do you know how much fun it is to find out that I scored like that with an inking tool?

All of these were done in micron pen, colored pencil, brush pen, and some gold gel pen thrown in to help with colors. Much of the black fur on the first two wolves was done with a black brush pen and then touched up with black colored pencil. Because of the nature of the pen, I was able to do the fur a lot better than I would have using just pencil. I also tried to do more of a comic book-type of lighting on the fur, meaning a stark difference between the lights and darks instead of the very blended look I usually go for. I'm really pleased with the result.

The first and third images are of a type of art/convention badge I'm thinking of offering for commissions that I'm referring to as "Paw Perspective" badges - in other words, they're supposed to look like the person's character is standing on a pane of glass above you, or something to that extent. It's a very different, challenging angle that I enjoy drawing from, I think partly because it forces me to think differently on some of the anatomy of the character. It's not an angle I see many people draw from.

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Whit! How much are your badge commissions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I only charged $3 apiece for the first and third of these, since I needed some prototypes to use as examples for a price sheet. I'm still not sure what to charge as a regular price, since I'm unsure of what would be fair to ask for my art. It would probably be $10 or less for something like these (I've seen art badges sell from $15 all the way up to $25 or more as a normal price) The mugshot one would likely be less than the other two.

    What do you think? :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say for sure what would be a good price, as I've never done research on commission pricing. $5-$15 for something like this would be good, in my opinion, especially since you do laminating as well. For a mugshot picture $5-$10? Those are my suggestions.

    ReplyDelete